Ducati DesertX Forum banner

Engine Guard Plate Install Manual - Water Pump Protector too

7K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  GusDuc 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got crash bars, engine guard plate, and the water pump protector. No install instructions. Anyone have them? Thanks to @Mastree for the Crash Bars manual in the other thread. Will call dealer tomorrow but REALLY wanted to do it today...

EDIT: found the Engine Guard Plate and Crash Bar install instructions on the Ducati site - I don't remember seeing them there when I looked a couple of days ago. BUT the Water Pump Protector does NOT have instructions available -- which is probably what I looked for first, saw that they didn't have the instructions available, and assumed the same for any accessories. Needless to say, I should be able to figure the Water Pump Protector out. Alas, still not doing today because I have Fog Lights coming this week (I hope) and those instructions require taking off the crash bars and many of the same components as before. Sigh...

Attachments

#3 ·
I installed my crash bars a couple weeks ago. Just got the water pump guard today. No instructions. I think I see what I need to do. It looks like I would need to take the Engine Guard off to access the screw on the bottom.

It's pretty straightforward how it connects to the crash bars and that black piece just presses into the guard to keep it off the water pump. For the screw at the bottom, I'm assuming that I remove the stock screw, put the spacer against the bike, then the protector, then the screw through that. But verifying this all would be helpful.
Also, torque specs. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning that I bought it from (ams Ducati) to see if they can email me the instructions. I couldn't find them on Ducati's website. But I figured I'd ask here in the meantime.

I haven't gotten the aftermarket engine guard yet. Is that much better than the stock one?

Attachments

#4 ·
For the water pump protector you will need to remove the bolt going into the lower case that has the threaded spacer head. Then the new spacer goes behind the guard bracket, and the bolt threads through the cable bracket, guard, and spacer. According to the local Ducati dealer the torque for the replacement bolt is 8nm.

#9 ·
Decided to have the dealer do it all when I added the new “respirator” sans cat. Man did that thing wake it up (and I already thought it was plenty “awake”). Ready for some gnar…
Added:
Crash bars
Off road skid plate
Water pump protection
Termignoni full exhaust and new mapping
Fog/driving lights
Waiting on center stand and heated grips
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#13 ·
HI just to dropp one info here. One fellow from UK (as i understood) spotted the reason of vibration after crash bars instalation.Looks like reason is connected with waterpump crashbar instalation .. the rubber which is installed together with crash bar cannot touch the pump cover.. needs to have respective space .. resettle and tightening the bolts with attention to that gap is enough,

#15 ·
Looking at the pictures posted above, the bolt at the bottom appears to be mounted in the following order: spacer, wire bracket, then water pump guard. When I did my install I did: spacer, water pump guard, then wire bracket. The extra couple mm of the thickness of the wire bracket should be enough to push the rubber off the water pump. I'll fix it later in the week and report back.

#16 ·
Try that report from other user were enriched with video and he was really confident about that space as a permanent solution to vibration
Also from logics ,contact with shaking engine has to transfer vibration to chassis and hands

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk Pro

#17 ·
Still working on getting the water pump guard off the water pump to fix my vibration issue. However, wanted to add a tip for the engine guard plate install. The instructions call for blue loctite for 2 of the screws (black ones), not all 6. The 4 stainless screws do not call for loctite. Found that out the hard way and just stripped those out trying to adjust my water pump guard :(

#21 ·
So I finally was able to adjust my water pump guard and got the rubber off the water pump housing. The vibration reduction was significant! However, I still feel more vibration than I'm comfortable with. I'm just not sure if it's the same as without off-road kit or not. Prior to adjusting the water pump, at high way speeds when i touched my engine guard the vibration was a lot more then when it put my hand on the tank. Now it's about the same. However, I feel like the entire bike (guard, tank, engine bars, etc.) is vibrating more than I'd like, which I don't remember being the case before. It's not terrible, but not great. I'm tempted to just remove the entire crash guard and test it. I can probably do it in less than 30 minutes...

Any other thoughts on how to reduce vibration?

#26 ·
I agree with you. Since crash-bar has been installed, I feel a lot of vibration that was not present before. I got the feeling of riding a 4 cylindrer engine in high rpm.

I went to my dealer and he plug rubber washer. It's a bit better but still not perfect. he will report it to Ducati.

#22 ·
So I went back through the assembly manual. When I did the installation, it appeared that part #3 below ("rubber element") wasn't needed with the under engine guard plate. Meaning, there is no place to put the "rubber element" after you install the support brackets for the guard plate. And the "rubber element" is only used with the stock guard plate. Is that correct?
Font Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering Automotive window part

Like in this picture, the "rubber element" is used with the stock under engine guard plate:
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Line Font

Also, I did not "spray silicone" on this screw as the instructions state. Anyone know why silicone would be needed?

Gesture Font Parallel Framing hammer Line art

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Well, seems like the spacer which comes with the water pump kit is not long enough or the water pump guard dimensions are incorrect. Someone screwed up the measurements in Ducati design department. I think the design was like this Case -> Spacer -> Water Pump guard -> Wire bracket. But then the teeth of the rubber piece is at angle and touching the pump. If we swap Water Pump guard and Wire bracket then it adds more space between teeth and the pump. But the wire bracket is slightly bent and you can see its effect on the sump guard's rear black screw. The head of that screw is pressing more on the rubber damper on one side. I hope they fix the pump guard design spacer.

#28 ·
I decided to switch back the sequence to what instruction manual suggested i.e. Engine case->Spacer->Crash Bar->Bracket. To do that I had to strip off couple of lines of that rubber pad.

Overall, I don't see any considerable vibration increase after installing the kit.

The center bar that connects left and right crash bars was touching the front of the engine but after readjusting i.e. pushing slightly upwards fixed the specific vibration that only happened around 3800 RPM.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.