Ducati DesertX Forum banner

Heated grip install..

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  LiveToRide 
#1 ·
How easy/hard is the install? I know dealers has to “activate” them but 2.5 hrs install seems a bit steep at $160 an hour.

anyone here installed themselves?

#4 ·
I avoided removing the tank by using a little pick tool to disconnect the wiring. One of the connectors is very easy to find, disconnect the factory blank and connect to the heated grips (right side). The left side is a pain to disconnect. You have to be patient and disconnect the heated grip blank with the pick style tool. The connector is on the left side of the tank in between a bunch of stuff...small fingers, a tool, and a weekend... honestly, if I did it...

#7 ·
It's not that bad. Be patient. Took me about 1.5 hours going slowly. As others have said, there's no need to remove the tank like the instructions show. The right side is pretty easy to find the connector plug, but the left side you need some more patience. Again, as others have said, a pick tool to disconnect the plug on the left side is a necessity ($1.99 at Harbor Freight). Once I got mine installed, my dealer activated them for free, at the same time I had taken the bike back in for its 600 mi service.

#8 ·
just completed my install. like desertxatl said the left side is a pain. I did end up removing the tank. It took me 45 minutes, but I took my time; there are 12 steps. There are few good videos on you tube to watch so you get the idea of what to do. Once you remove the tank once, it isnt actually not that bad. Need to learn anyway to service the air filter.

Moving forward, I have an appointment with the dealer today to turn on the grips. They said I can wait while they do it so I am hoping they wont charge!! We'll see!

#12 ·
I cannot seem to find the LH connector. I don’t see any connector coming out of the cable bunch covered with the sleeve. Can someone please help me point where in the picture the LH connector approximately might be?

(This is a picture of the left hand side of the bike, taken from the front, looking down.)

Attachments

#15 ·
Nice! Good that LH connector was accessible for you. I guess there are small variations between different builds. Mine is 2023. May be they have changed the wiring process.

Regarding left grip; I have found the easiest way to take it off. Unless you are planning to reuse it, take sharp box cutter and make two or three slow sideway passes with some good amount of pressure. Basically cut it open instead sliding it out.