Ducati DesertX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear shock on the DDX's spring is too weak. Even without me on it, it takes up MORE than 30% of the travel just on the weight of the bike with the preload cranked all the up (stiffest) Trying to find an aftermarket shock but can't seem to find one. Maybe too new a bike. But if anyone has seen an aftermarket shock, preferably Ohlins let me know. I also like Hyperpro.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Registered
76 Posts
If the shock isn't faulty then Just buy a new spring to suit your weight, first thing I'll be buying will be springs to suit my weight , you should do this for every bike they kyb suspension so a suspension shop should be able to match some springs

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to remember that the valving is "matched" to the spring rate. Simply changing out the spring "may" give you the appropriate preload but you may not have enough adjustments for the compression and rebound damping. This happened with my first ADV bike, a Super Tenere 1200.

I've only found when I buy high-end models of motorcycles that comes with Ohlins or WP is there enough preload. Although I have changed springs on some of my racebikes with ohlins.

I really wonder how many people on this forum actually set their preload according to what it should really be verses what the owner's manual says. Would love to hear...

If the shock isn't faulty then Just buy a new spring to suit your weight, first thing I'll be buying will be springs to suit my weight , you should do this for every bike they kyb suspension so a suspension shop should be able to match some springs

· Registered
12 Posts
The stock rear shock spring is only 91 nm/mm and I am pretty sure that for my use (weight load) I need at least 100 nm/mm or even 105 nm/mm. Good thing is the rear shock is a breeze to take in and out now I just need to find a decent quality replacement spring.

· Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, the stock shock spring seems to be soft. I normally set my bikes up with 10% static sag, 30% race sag. With the shock preload cranked all the way hard on the DDX, I'm getting 14% static sag which is too much for off-pavement riding IMO. I haven't checked shock race sag and haven't looked at the forks yet.

· Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, the stock shock spring seems to be soft. I normally set my bikes up with 10% static sag, 30% race sag. With the shock preload cranked all the way hard on the DDX, I'm getting 14% static sag which is too much for off-pavement riding IMO. I haven't checked shock race sag and haven't looked at the forks yet.
Keep us updated. Feels soft to me too at 210 geared up.

· Registered
76 Posts
You have to remember that the valving is "matched" to the spring rate. Simply changing out the spring "may" give you the appropriate preload but you may not have enough adjustments for the compression and rebound damping. This happened with my first ADV bike, a Super Tenere 1200.

I've only found when I buy high-end models of motorcycles that comes with Ohlins or WP is there enough preload. Although I have changed springs on some of my racebikes with ohlins.

I really wonder how many people on this forum actually set their preload according to what it should really be verses what the owner's manual says. Would love to hear...
First thing Iver ever done on my mx and enduro bikes is fit heavier springs and never needed to change the valving or shim stacks , just new springs and diffrent weight oil and alot of my bikes have had kyb suspension

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm a former defensive lineman at 6'6" 340 lbs. Very interested in getting a giant guy spring set up. Either the Ohlins with correct spring or has anyone tried RaceTech yet? I know they respring KYB shocks, plus (if it's your thing) their springs come in variety of lovely colors to suit your taste!

· Registered
74 Posts
So after some research, it seem the Ohlins shock listed here is from a shop in Europe. Not from Ohilins direct. Which could end up being a bit of an issue if the shock fails. I have found a couple of sources to custom the stock shock. I'll be looking more into this and will post when I get it done.

· Registered
78 Posts
So after some research, it seem the Ohlins shock listed here is from a shop in Europe. Not from Ohilins direct. Which could end up being a bit of an issue if the shock fails. I have found a couple of sources to custom the stock shock. I'll be looking more into this and will post when I get it done.
I am sure Ohlins USA would help & I have had good luck with Ohlins stuff. Make sure you get the right spring rate as the user a smaller diameter so you have to run their springs.

· Registered
74 Posts
I am sure Ohlins USA would help & I have had good luck with Ohlins stuff. Make sure you get the right spring rate as the user a smaller diameter so you have to run their springs.
I have too, but after talking to them here in the US, they mentioned that they have no shock for the Desert X yet and anything someone makes, is up to that shop/person to help with issues if they can. Bottom line, buyer beware! I'm looking at a shop to re-valve and or re-spring (both front and rear) and see how that goes. I've had great luck with companies doing the mods from stock forks and shocks in the past for many of my bikes.

· Registered
78 Posts
I have too, but after talking to them here in the US, they mentioned that they have no shock for the Desert X yet and anything someone makes, is up to that shop/person to help with issues if they can. Bottom line, buyer beware! I'm looking at a shop to re-valve and or re-spring (both front and rear) and see how that goes. I've had great luck with companies doing the mods from stock forks and shocks in the past for many of my bikes.
Yeah usually re springing OEM stuff is a good start. Do you have a good suspension guy locally? I cannot find one here in Olympia.

· Registered
16 Posts
OK, so I finally got some actual Static and Race Sag numbers and I'm now thinking the stock spring rate is a bit too stiff for my ride weight (174 pounds) and rear rack luggage weight (46 pounds).

With a half tank of gas and me and luggage on the bike AND spring preload max'd out on the shock, I measured 67mm of race sage, which is 30.3% of rear wheel travel of 220mm. Right where it should be IMO.

HOWEVER, when I get off the bike, static sag comes in at 37mm or 17% or rear wheel travel, which is too much sag. Static Sag should be near 10% or 22mm (not 37mm).

If Race Sag is correct (30%), but Static is too much (>10%), then spring is too STIFF; if Static is too little (<10%), then spring is too SOFT.

The next question is what aftermarket 8" free length, 55mm ID springs are available in the sub-9.2 kg/mm spring rate range?

Here's an interesting read: Why Static Sag is so Important

1 - 20 of 20 Posts